Required Automobile Coverages in Pennsylvania.

  • Medical Benefits: This pays medical bills for you and others covered on your policy regardless of fault. The minimum limit is $5,000 of coverage. Higher limits are available.
  • Bodily Injury Liability: If you injure someone in a car accident, this coverage pays their medical and rehabilitation expenses and any damages for which you are found liable. You must buy coverage of at least $15,000/$30,000. The $15,000 pays for injuries to one person while the $30,000 represents the total available for one accident.
  • Property Damage Liability: If you damage someone's property in an accident and you are at fault, this coverage pays for it. You must buy at least $5,000 of coverage. Some companies offer a single limit of $35,000 which meets the bodily injury liability and property damage liability minimum requirements.

Other Options under Pennsylvania's Auto Law

  • Limited Tort: Offers savings on your premiums. You are still able to recover all out-of-pocket medical and other expenses, however you are not able to recover non-monetary damages or receive payments for pain and suffering unless injuries are defined as serious.
  • Full Tort: With this selection you retain unrestricted rights to bring suit against the negligent party.
  • Uninsured Motorist (UM): This covers bodily injury for you or your family if you are hit by an at-fault uninsured motorist.
  • Underinsured Motorist (UIM): This covers bodily injury losses for you or your passengers if you are hit by an at-fault motorist who does not have enough insurance to cover your claim.
  • Stacking of UM or UIM: This coverage allows you to multiply the amount of uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage by the number of vehicles on your policy. It costs extra to stack uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
  • Funeral Benefit: Pays up to $2,500 if you or a family member dies as a result of an auto accident.
  • Income Loss: Pays your wages when injuries sustained in an auto accident keep you from working.
  • Collision: This benefit pays to repair damage to your car as a result of an accident. Most banks or lenders require you to buy this coverage to receive a car loan. Under Pennsylvania law, the company applies a $500 deductible unless you request a lower amount. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium.
  • Comprehensive: Generally, this pays for theft or damage to your car from hazards including fire, flood, vandalism or striking an animal. Most banks or lenders require you to buy this coverage to receive a car loan. There are various levels of deductible to purchase.
  • Extraordinary Medical Benefits: This coverage pays when medical and rehabilitation expenses exceed $100,000. It provides a maximum of $1 million of coverage.